Monday, December 22, 2008

Two Sides to Every Coin

We've decided to do the heart transplant. I guess there never really was any doubt. Having known this was a possibility for quite a while, I think we had already consciously or subconsciously made up our mind. It took me a couple of "signs" to show me this was indeed the path to take. Now, it was just a matter of actually voicing it.

It occurred to me the other day, though, that it takes two to tango. The new year always symbolically promises new hope and new life. That rings especially true for Lauren and the rest of us this year as we pray for resounding success of the transplant, and that she'll be even more normal than she has fought to be thus far. We'll take Lauren up to Philadelphia on January 6th, and then begins the waiting game.

There are other cast members in this drama that's supposed to have a Disney-perfect happy ending, though...but for them, it won't -- that's the family that will provide the heart. It occurred to me that, even right now -- at the happiest time of the year -- they most likely have no idea that they will give my child life by losing their own child. At a time when I'm both excited and anxious about what the future holds for my little girl, the thought that it must be a life for a life tears my heart out (for once, no pun intended).

Please pray for this family -- whoever they are. Pray that, when the time comes, God will wrap His arms around them and give them peace and comfort through this gift in a way that I can't fathom. Pray that they will somehow understand how grateful we will be to have a little girl whose heart works as well (physically) as it is big (figuratively).

No comments:

Post a Comment