Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Game of the Century

I love my Oklahoma Sooners! I’m Sooner-born (OK, well, not quite…) and I’m Sooner-bred, and when I die I’ll be Sooner-dead. Bob Stoops is a phenomenal coach, they’ve been playing like a championship team, they’re ranked #1 in the nation in all 3 polls, and at least one pundit is claiming that this weekend’s Red River Shootout with Texas is the most important game in the history of college football (perhaps because he’s paid to do that simply to attract readers). So why is my smack-talk machine not firing on all cylinders?

To start with, this is the OU-Texas game. Anything can happen, and, historically, anything has. This year, Texas is ranked #5, which means this should be a good game – even without the super-charged emotional rivalry. The Big 12 is also shaping up to be the toughest conference this year…but OU hasn’t done well in the spotlight the last few years. They’ve lost 4 out of their last 5 bowl games, and, last year, when the championship was theirs for the taking (twice!), they demurred to Colorado and Texas Tech. The record shows – as much as I love the Sooners – they don’t do well under pressure.

In their favor, the Sooners lead the OU-Texas series over the last 10 years 6-4. Despite their notable stumbles, they’ve also won several amazing games, including a run in 2000 upsetting Texas, Kansas State (#2), Nebraska (#1), and Florida State for the BCS title. Last year, they upset Missouri, who was the #1 team in the nation, to secure the Big 12 Title.

This year, the Sooners are looking great! They certainly have the talent to win this game easily. They’re averaging 50 points per game, but other teams are putting up similar stats – including Texas. No matter what happens, this game could likely be the real Big 12 Championship, with that other game in December being just a formality. So break out your crimson and cream and get ready for an exciting game!! To the victor, go the spoils! Sing with me, now: “Boomer Sooner, Boomer Sooner…”

3 comments:

  1. I can't necessarily sing with you, but I certainly understand your cautious optimism. It's not easy when we know how well the team can play and then watch them crumble to pieces. It's a worse feeling than losing on a last second field goal.

    I'm crossing my fingers that my Tide can actually beat Auburn this year. Auburn is on a 6 game winning streak against us. The seniors on our team have NEVER beaten the Tigers. It's sad really when you think about it, but even knowing that Auburn isn't doing all that well this season, I'm still nervous about that game. As you said, anything can happen.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to you also! I'll be rooting for the Tide, too. It will be nice to see them do well again, although I admit I'm more of a Tennessee fan when it comes to SEC (I know!!! Don't hit me!!!). Obviously, they're not doing so hot this year, though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Auburn has had a rough start, but I think things are going to smooth over. The Iron Bowl is the most intense game and it doesn't really matter what the rankings are. Back in the undefeated '04 season, Auburn was down at half time during the Iron Bowl, but still came back and won. Who knows what would happen this year?

    If it comes down to OU/Alabama for the National Championship, I think I'll root for OU.

    ReplyDelete