Thursday, January 1, 2009

Kids Say the Darnedest Things

I know Christmas is already coming up on us. It should only be a matter of days before Brennan starts announcing the beginnings of his next Christmas/birthday list. In spite of my tardiness, I thought you might find it humorous the types of things overheard around our house. I'm sure any of you with kids have heard very similar things, so I merely submit these as another example of kids being cute and/or absolutely hysterical without trying at all.

Our first vignette comes from the youngest, Lauren. Twas the night before Christmas. I was holding Lauren and Brennan came up to her. The conversation went something like this:

Brennan: What are you going to do tomorrow, Lauren?
Lauren: Open presents!! (big smile)
Me: (Mildly surprised that she's that attuned to what's about to happen) Boy, you've really got that down...
Lauren: Yea me!!!

Our second vignette comes from the oldest child...The other night at dinner, Cristi and I were discussing two of our friends that we go to church with that happen to work on Capitol Hill. Obviously, they're quite tied to politics, but we're just not sure what their political leanings are, and, darn it, they aren't giving us good enough hints. Finally Addison pipes up:

Addison: Why don't you just look on their Facebook page to see what their political views are.
Me: Well, they don't have anything on there. In fact, some people just put a vague statement on there that doesn't really tell you anything.
Addison: They should make you put down something like, conservative, moderate, or flaming liberal!

I have to say I'm proud of my daughter! I try to give her an unbiased view of politics and allow her to make up her own mind. Since she's chosen Republican herself, that must mean that's the obvious choice everyone should make, right? The mind of a child exudes innocence, right? :-)

And last but not least, our last vignette comes from Brennan. Poor kid. He tries so hard to be serious at times, but, alas, it always comes out funny! Here's how this one played out at dinner:

Me: Who's having ice cream tonight?
Addison: Me!
Brennan: Me!
Me: No, you're not having ice cream tonight.
Brennan: Why not?
Me: Because there's a new rule that on Mondays, you don't get ice cream.
Brennan: Ha ha!
Silence......
Brennan: No, I'm serious. Ha ha!

I can't make this stuff up, folks! In case you're wondering, Brennan did get his ice cream, but it took a while for us all to pick ourselves up off the floor from laughing so hard! "I wish I could save these moments and put 'em in a jar...I know I can't, but I wish I could." Moments in life like these are precious. It makes everything worthwhile!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you're quoting country songs in your blog. I'm going to have to work hard to top that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was funny! I always wished I wrote a book using our boys little cutisms. I love the, "No, seriously. ...Ha Ha!"

    A precious one comes to mind. Our oldest was 2, and I said to Don, probably with a Texas drawl, since that was where we lived then, "I have a crick in my neck!" Chris said, with great concern, "SPIT IT OUT MOMMY!" cute, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete